En este espacio se compila el trabajo desarrollado por los participantes en la asignatura de libre elección Caminar Barcelona

26 febrero 2007

Ciudad Vella

I think it's very impressive that Barcelona has such a big old city part. In Stockholm there is also 'an old city', but not as dominant as in Barcelona. In the 1960’s and 70’s areas of the old city in Stockholm were demolished because of the modernising. This is really a shame I think.
Walking in old cities are very interesting because it gives us a perspective of the history. When I walk in the old city of Barcelona I always discover new places and streets and it feels endless.

Santa Caterina mercado of Miralles works really nice in the old city I think. Wood is not often seen in Barcelona and I think it is nice that he has used that material. Moreover, It would have been interesting if the new apartments in the area behind the market were contrasting more rather than trying to adapt to the old style...but this is always a complicated discussion.
The plazas in the old city that have been evolved over time are quite nice spaces, allthough the plaza behind the Picasso museum lacks interaction with the surroundings. Too much of a backyard. There are other plazas that are nicer spaces such as the plaza by
Carrer dels Carder and also plaza del Pi that are curving arround the cathedral.
I think the main road Layetana has just far too much traffic and it would have been nicer if the old city were not divided so brutally like that.
The Rambla Raval that has been evolved due to demolishment of old buildings are just too big in scale I think. Finally, I think MACBA is a very successful building and nice contrast in El Raval and the surrounding is an active used space.

No hay comentarios: